**ARTICLE BY JOSH LONGSTRETH**
DOUBLE DRIBBLE: BOYS BASKETBALL RECAP 1/16/23
- Calvin Christian put a big win together over Hopkins, 68-47. Jack Agema (24 points) and Carson DeHaan (20 points) led Calvin. Tristen Perry (12 points) and Micah Estelle (11 points) paced the Vikings.
- Coopersville knocked off Unity Christian in double OT, 57-55. Gabe VanSickle knocked down a big shot with under 30 seconds to play to win it. Mark DeVries (14 points, 10 rebounds) on the night. Porter Kretschman finished with 10 points. Eli Spencer had 11.
- East Kentwood picked up a come from behind win over Rockford, 51-49. Jah Hatchett (14 points) and Marshaun Flakes (13 points) led the Falcons.
- Forest Hills Central picked up a big OT win over Byron Center, 58-56. Brady Miller would put in a layup with just 1.3 seconds remaining to grab a thrilling victory over the Bulldogs. Jonas Vanderwoude had a big night with 17 points. Jake Koning added 11 points. The loss dropped Byron Center to 4-3 while the Rangers improve to 5-4.
- Frankenmuth would travel to Garber and fall to the Dukes, 46-52. The Eagles would get off to a really njice start in this one but just wouldn’t be able to sustain it as Garber clawed back into the game before the half. Aidan Hoard led Frankenmuth with 15 points. Travis Brenner added 13 points and 7 rebounds. Breandan Newsham led Garber with 16 points.
- Godwin Heights picked up a win over NorthPointe Christian, 82-74. Jakhary Towns led the Wolverines with 23 points while Demarie Thompson added 20 points. Mitchell White was big for Mustangs with 26 points. Kayden Bird added 19 points. Jakhary Towns reached the 1,000 point mark in the game.
- Grand Rapids Catholic Central defeated Cedar Springs, 69-39. The Cougars were led by KK Brown with 24 points and Durral Brooks with 22 points, both with big 1st quarters. GRCC took a quick lead and did not look back. At the half, the Cougars lead 38-22. The 3rd quarter was more of the Cougar offense scoring at will. After 3, 63-33. A 4th quarter heavy with defense ended the game with a Catholic Central win 69-39. The Red Hawks were led Cashius Hess with 13 points. TJ Meerman set the GRCC school record for career coaching victories (Reporting by Hudson Harkness)
- Grand Haven defeated Jenison, 69-62. Harrison Sorrelle put in a career high 37 points to lead the undefeated Bucs. This is the third game that the senior has put in 30-points in a game this season as Grand Haven has some big momentum right now.
- Grand Rapids Union grabbed a home win over Reeths Puffer, 58-54. Yoel Abraham (17 points) and Marquan Ross (16 points) led the way for the Red Hawks. Brian Parks added 11 points.
- Holland Christian topped Hamilton, 66-54. Kyle Cannon had a monster night with 34 points for Holland Christian. JT McIlwain led the Hawkeyes with 19 points. JD DeGroot finished with 11 for Hamilton.
- Hudsonville would grab a win over Holland West Ottawa, 65-46. The Eagles would get off to a slow start in this one but really amped up things in the 2nd quarter. Mason Dykstra had a team high 21 points for Hudsonville on the night.
- Holton fell to Muskegon Catholic Central, 39-52. The Saders held a big advantage at the half but the Red Devils would really battle in this one. Carter Brant paced Holton with 15 points and 5 assists. Brodrick Fialek pitched in 14 points. Braden Gustin was big for Catholic Central with 17 points and 8 rebounds on the night. Bryan Convertini added 10 points, 10 rebounds, 5 assists and 5 steals to put up an impressive stat line. The Saders improve to 4-4 on the season.
- Mattawan defeated Plainwell, 65-41. Noah Vanlaningham led the Wildcats with 20 points on the night. Connor Walsh added 10 points. Mattawan remains undefeated on the season. Nick Marlow (14 points) and Landon Majdan (12 points) led the way for the Trojans. Plainwell drops to 5-2 with the loss.
- Mona Shores hosted Wyoming falling to the Wolves, 62-66. The Sailors got off to a strong start in the game but would find themselves down 11 heading into the 4th. Mona Shores would respond to take the lead at one point but it just wouldn’t be enough. Sophomores Jonathan Pittman (20 points, 10 rebounds) and Jordan Bledsoe (19 points and 3 steals) led the Sailors. JT Foster added 12 points. Mona Shores moves to 4-4 on the season. They will travel to Union on Friday night. TJ Chandler put together a monster game for the Wolves with 30 points (5 three-pointers). Warren Williams put together a nice performance with 15 points, 6 rebounds and 4 steals.
- Montague fell to Kent City, 53-56. Braedon Johnson struggled from the floor a bit on the night but still finished with 13 points. He would add to it with 11 rebounds and 3 blocks. Owen Peterson and Owen Raeth both finished with 11 points. Kyler Larson (17 points) and Jaret Jaramillo (15 points) led the way for the Eagles.
- Muskegon picked up a win over Zeeland East , 62-45. Anthony Sydnow led the Big Reds with 18 points. David Day III had 14 points while Jordan Briggs added 10 points. Zeeland East was led by Layne Risdon with 20 points.
- Northview defeated East Grand Rapids, 34-31. Tyran Thomas led the way for the Wildcats with 13 points. Simon Neuhaus finished with 14 points for the Pioneers. Northview would move to 7-1 on the season. East Grand Rapids would fall to 3-5.
- Ravenna picked up a win over Manistee, 49-40. Blake Homoly led the way for the Bulldogs with 12 points and 5 assists. Caleb Forsythe was big late knocking down 3 three-pointers on his way to 10 points on the night.
- South Christian defeated Ottawa Hills, 55-51. Jake DeHaan and Carson Vis paced the Sailors on the night. Craig Hureskin (18 points) and Arien MacDaniel (15 points) led the Bengals.
- Spring Lake came up big late as they took down West Catholic, 52-42. Zach Schlepp led the Lakers with 14 points.
- Wayland picked up a tough win over Thornapple Kellogg, 73-60. They would move to 6-1 with the win. Brett Bultsma (24 points) and Elijah Maas (15 points) led the way for the Wildcats. Kyle VanHaitsma (12 points) and Jacob Draaisma (11 points) paced the Trojans.
- Whitehall defeated Grant, 80-53. Camden Thompson had a great performance on the night with 21 points, 14 rebounds and 2 steals.
- Hart defeated Mason County Central, 71-50.
- Holton would fall to Shelby, 28-39. The Red Devils would get themselves in a bit of a hole down 27-12 at the half but continued to battle to have a shot late. Brodrick Fialek (11 points, and 5 rebounds) and Carter Brant (11 points) paced Holton. The Tigers were led by a balanced attack of Wyatt Dickman, Bishop Lee and Mason Garcia. Holton head coach Keith Swanson was still pleased with his team despite the loss, “Shelby really got off to a nice start on us. We managed to hand around, just didn’t make quite enough plays. I’m pleased that our guys are continuing to work hard and it continues to show”.
- Kalamazoo Central would move to 6-0 on the season after their win over Portage Central, 65-38. Hutch Ward had a big night with 20 points Terrance Jones added 13 points.
- Mattawan won a tough matchup over Lakeshore, 42-27. The Wildcats would improve to 8-0 with the win. Lakeshore falls to 3-5. Noah Vanlaningham (13 points, 3 steals), Will Kuiper (13 points, 2 steals) and Ryan Kiesling (10 points, 6 rebounds, 2 blocks) led a balancted attack for Mattawan.
- North Muskegon picked up a win over Montague, 49-34. The Norse were off and running early as Troy McManus really got off to a scorching start. But the rest of the game would really be a battle as the Wildcats kept hanging around. Montague would cut the lead to four in the 3rd quarter but the Norse would knock down some big shots to build on their lead. Troy McManus was big on the night with 20 points and 5 rebounds. Montague was led by Owen Raeth with 10 points. North Muskegon is now 6-2 overall (2-2 in conference). They take on Potters House Christian on Monday. Montague is now 4-5 overall.
- Ravenna picked up a win over Hesperia, 60-38. The Bulldogs are starting to build some good chemistry and it showed in this one. Ravenna picked up 14 steals in the game while dishing out 18 assists as a team. Carter Schullo led the way for the victors with 16 points and grabbing 15 rebounds.
- Whitehall pulled off a big win over Oakridge, 68-46. The Vikings would jump out a big 35-16 lead at the half. They would continue that with a big 3rd quarter. Whitehall was dominant on the boards by holding a 47-27 advantage over the Eagles. DJ Jamison led the Vikings with 19 points and 2 steals. Camden Thompson finished with 10 points and 16 rebounds. Jack Houtteman put together a solid performance with 10 points and 5 steals.
- Big Rapids would defeat Chippewa Hills, 73-33. Dawson Dunn led the Cardinals with 16. Big Rapids moves to 6-1 on the season.
- East Grand Rapids picked up a monumental win over Grand Rapids Christian, 43-40. Simon Neuhaus was big in the game with 18 points. The Pioneers move to 3-6 overall (2-1 in conference). East Grand Rapids picks things up tomorrow when they travel to Ottawa Hills High for a showdown with Chandler Park Academy.
- Frankenmuth fell to Freeland in a heart breaker, 41-42. Jacob Kowalski would hit the game winner to give the Falcons the win. The Eagles fall to 5-3 on the season. Freeland improves to 5-5.
- Grand Rapids Catholic Central cruised to a win over Forest Hills Eastern, 83-59. Friday night was more of the same from the Cougars, this time on Forest Hills Eastern’s floor. A slow 1st quarter for both teams ended with a GRCC lead 16-9. The Cougars put 21 more points on the board in the 2nd quarter while holding the Hawks to 15. At the half, Eastern trails CC, 37-24. Catholic Central picked the pace up in the 2nd half with a 23-point performance in both of the quarters. Grand Rapids Catholic Central picks up the win 83-59. KK Brown put 27 in the scorebook with Durral Brooks 18-points. Eastern was had three 12-point scorers in Aidan Sullivan, Jacob Pallo, and Mac DenBraber. (Reporting by Hudson Harkness)
- Grandville pulled off a thrilling win over East Kentwood, 48-41. Cameron Regnerus led the Bulldogs with 15 points on the night while Tyson Mann added 14 points. Grandville takes on Hudsonville at home on Tuesday.
- Lawton would fall to Hackett Prep, 35-51. This one was much closer than the score indicates but the Irish would come up big late. Aiden O’Brien (12 points) and Parker VanPeteghem (11 points) led the way for the Blue Devils. Lawton welcomes in Dowagiac on Tuesday.
- Mona Shores would fall to Grand Rapids Union, 54-65. The Sailors would get off to a slow start but they would fight back to have a chance. Mona Shores as led by Jordan Bledsoe who finished with 22 points and 6 rebounds. Marquan Ross led Union with 23 points and 3 steals. Tayshaun Allen finished with 12 points.
- Muskegon picked up a win over Zeeland West, 55-46. Jordan Briggs led the way with 21 points for the Big Red. Anthony Sydnor added 13. Muskegon improves to 3-0 in conference and 7-0 overall. Merritt Alderink was big for the Dux with 18 points and 12 rebounds. Deklen Klamt added 12. Zeeland West is now 2-1 in conference and 7-2 overall.
- Muskegon Catholic Central pulled off a thrilling win over Western Michigan Catholic, 41-39. The Crusaders would put together an incredible first half defensively holding the Warriors to just 11 first half points. Catholic Central improve to 5-4 with the in. Braden Gustin (13 points, 3 three-pointers and 5 rebounds) ), Bryan Convertini (10 points, 8 rebounds and 4 steals), Jake Westoff (10 points) and Sam Kartes (10 rebounds) led the way for the Saders.
- NorthPointe Christian grabbed a 61-51 win over Hopkins on Friday. Kayden Bird had a big night with 32 points for the Mustangs. Dede Person finished with 16 points. Jamari Hughes added 10.
- Reeths Puffer picked up a solid win over a scrappy Wyoming team, 66-53. Jaxson Whitaker was big in this one with 30 points on the night (10 in the 4th). Travis Ambrose had himself a game with 15 points. With the win the Rockets improve to 4-4 on the season.
- Rockford defeated Hudsonville on Friday. 1st half would be tight all the way through. At the half it would be knotted at 23. The 3rd quarter would see the Rams move ahead by two points, 32-30. Another quarter won by the Rams this one-by-one point would see Rockford pick up the win, 44-41. Drake Irwin had a big game for Rockford with a 17-point performance. Brayden Szamrej had 13 points for the Eagles.
- Sparta defeated Kelloggsville, 66-58. Jax Wilson was big with 38 points on the night. It was another sensational game for the senior who scored 44 points earlier in the season.