The Union Red Hawks snapped a historic losing drought last season, when they beat Wyoming for their first win in 45 games. This year, Coach Don Fellows’ crew continues to make strides as a program. After winning their season opener, they continued their winning ways on Thursday. Taking down Ypsilanti 42-14, the Red Hawks are 2-0 for the first time since 1998, a season that saw them finish 8-1 and capture the City League title with stars like Kelly Butler on their team.

Tommy Stevens, the Union quarterback who is becoming the latest Red Hawk star with his performance the past two seasons, got things started with a 4-yard quarterback keeper in the first quarter. This scoring play with 1:20 to go in the first quarter gave the Red Hawks an early 7-0 lead.

Ypsilanti would respond back and jump in front when Ashton Jenson ran in a pair of touchdowns for the Grizzlies, giving the team a 14-7 lead. From there on, it was all Union, as the Red Hawks scored 35 unanswered points.

Tommy Stevens would use his legs to score twice more, as the dual-threat quarterback made Ypsilanti pay. His touchdown runs of eight and nine yards respectively gave Union a halftime lead of 19-14.

In the second half, Union got on the board first with a touchdown run. Keondre Anderson took a handoff and rumbled four yards for a touchdown. Later in the quarter, Stevens took to the air and found DJ Nixon for a 9-yard touchdown pass. Union would wrap up their scoring with a run by Keaunt’e Swarn, a 25-yard sprint to the end zone.

Tommy Stevens was efficient as a passer, finishing 6/8 for 51 yards. He added 12 carries for 124 yards, finishing the night with four touchdowns. Keaunt’e Swarn added 73 yards on six carries, while Marquis Taylor Jr led Union in receiving with 33 yards. Defensively, Kamathi Long and Keondre Anderson paced the Red Hawks with five tackles each.

Next week, the Red Hawks will begin OK Green play against two-time defending State Champion Mona Shores. Ypsilanti will start SEC-White play against the Adrian Maples.