One of the biggest rivalry games in the KLAA took place on Friday night as crosstown foes Livonia Churchill and Livonia Franklin squared off on the gridiron. Eighty-three points later, Churchill emerged victorious by double digits, 47-36.

The Chargers got things rolling early in the second quarter of the game when Gavin Brooks found Boston Clegg Jr. for an eleven yard touchdown. Franklin wasted no time in responding however, as Zac Olesuk broke off a sixty five yard run on their first play from scrimmage to even the score at seven.

Churchill jumped back in front when Gavin Brooks ran 41 yards to the end zone. The extra point was blocked, leaving the margin at just six points. Franklin would capitalize on that miss and take the lead with a score of their own. Trever Perczak scored from nineteen yards out to cap off a two-play scoring drive that gave the Patriots a 14-13 lead.

Before the first half concluded, Gavin Brooks found his brother Bailey Brooks on a twenty one yard pass to make it 19-14. Churchill went for the two point conversion, but they were unsuccessful.

Franklin started the scoring in the second half when Olesuk had his second long run through the Chargers defense. This fifty yard score pushed the Patriots back in front 22-19. Ninety seconds of game time later, Churchill would regain the lead with a finely tailored Brooks brothers pass that went fifty eight yards for a score making it 26-22.

Olesuk showed his ability to run once again with another fifty yard dart to the end zone. This touchdown gave Franklin a three point lead headed into the final frame. Cordell Mabins would pad Franklin’s lead with a twenty one yard touchdown run of his own to make it 36-26 Patriots with just seven minutes left to go.

The final twenty one points in this game were scored by Churchill, delivering a thrilling comeback victory. Gavin Brooks fund Jordan Garcia for a thirty five yard touchdown with 5:47 to go, pulling the Patriots within three. Just three minutes later, these two would pair up for a sixty five yard strike that gave Churchill a 40-36 edge.

Franklin attempted to respond, but they were unable to convert on fourth and one at the Churchill 47 with just under two minutes to play. The Chargers would add an insurance touchdown on a sixty yard run by Boston Clegg Jr just moments later to seal the victory.

Churchill now sits at 3-0 on the year, and they will take on Dearborn Fordson next week. After blowing their second fourth quarter lead in as many weeks, Franklin now sits at 1-2. They will take on another rival, Livonia Stevenson, next Friday night at home. This game will be LIVE on Michigan Sports Radio.