**ARTICLE BY JOSH LONGSTRETH**
GIRLS BASKETBALL REGIONAL ROUNDUP
Regional 3 hosted by Mona Shores
- Rockford survived a scare from Jenison, 44-37. The Rams would trail late in the 3rd before their offense got en route to a big 4th quarter surge.
- Byron Center was too much for Muskegon, defeating the Lady Big Reds 62-43. The Bulldogs held just a 36-27 lead at the half. Lillian Zeinstra and McKenna Ferguson had big nights for Byron Center.
Thursday 7:00 @ Mona Shores Sailor Center
Rockford (24-1) VS Byron Center (22-3)
You couldn’t ask for a more anticipated matchup in a regional final. Expect a ton of offense on display in this one. The two met in just the second game of the season. Rockford took that battle as they controlled much of the game. We’re much deeper in the season now, don’t expect anything less than a lot of fight from each.
Regional 11 hosted by Comstock Park
- Grand Rapids Christian was dominant over Allendale, taking a 56-15 win.
- West Catholic continues what has been a dream season for the Falcons, as they knock off a feisty Portland team 52-39.
Thursday 7:00 @ Comstock Park High School
Grand Rapids Christian (19-5) VS Grand Rapids West Catholic (24-0)
Both teams have been doing big things all year. The Eagles continue to improve throughout the season. Meanwhile, the Falcons who have been dominate all season were tested by a young Portland team. Even with that West Catholic would control much of the game. Something will have to give in what should be a great matchup. These two met earlier in the season in a close matchup before the Falcons pulled away.
Regional 12 hosted by Three Rivers
- Holland Christian ran past Edwardsburg, 54-33.
- Plainwell pulled off an OT win over Olivet, 46-42.
Thursday 7:00 @ Three Rivers High School
Holland Christian (18-7) VS Plainwell (15-9)
Holland Christian comes into the regional final finding ways to limit opponents offensively. Add that plus an offense that can get it going, and here you are. Many might find the Maroons under the radar here and that’s fine by them. They might just take that with them heading back home with a championship in hand.
The Plainwell Trojans have gone toe to toe with the best all season. They’ve proven that they can play with anyone. They continue to do that as they were able to shut down a potent Olivet offense. They’ll look to do the same Friday night in hopes of capturing a regional title.
Regional 19 hosted by Shelby
- Hart beat NorthPointe Christian, 49-29. The Pirates are playing some of their best basketball and that is saying something being that they have been dominant most of the year.
- Kent City keeps rolling as they knock off Saugatuck, 66-32. The Eagles were in control all game as they held a 47-11 lead at the half. Northwood commit Lexie Bowers had herself a night to finish with 32 points (6 three-pointers), 11 rebounds, 7 steals and 5 assists. Madelyn Geers added 12 points and 11 rebounds.
Thursday 6:00 @ Shelby High School
Hart is in the midst of one of their best years as a program. There has been no one this season that has been able to shut down the Pirates offense but their defense won’t let you do much either. Led by Aspen Boutell, Addi Hovey and Abby Hicks, don’t be surprised if Hart plays into next week.
The Kent City Eagles are known around the state as one of the best girls basketball programs in the state. Same year, same tune. But it doesn’t get old as the Eagles continue to make their way into a regional final. That might not be the only thing they come away if they continue to go through teams life they have.
These two have met already this season as Kent City took the first meeting in what was a tight battle. One of the most anticipated matchups of the season will have a lot more on the line this time around.
OTHER DIVISION 2 REGIONALS
- Big Rapids storybook season continues as they knock off Standish Sterling, 66-43. The Cardinals will take on Houghton (20-5) at 6:00 on Thursday.
- Frankenmuth cruised past Belding, 53-23. The win sets up a regional final where the Eagles will take on rival Freeland. Frankenmuth dominated their first matchup while they needed OT in their second game. The Eagles will look to secure a regional title by knocking off the Falcons a third time.
- Lake City rolled their way into the regional final over Beaverton, defeating the Beavers 62-24. Kenzie Bisballe led the way for the Trojans with 24 points and 11 rebounds. Alie Bisballe added 11 points. Payton Hogan finished with 11 points and 5 rebounds. Emma Nickerson pitched in 10 points and 5 rebounds. Lake City will now take on Hemlock. That game is slated for Thursday night with a 7:30 start time in Houghton Lake.
- Kalamazoo Christian advanced to their regional title game by knocking off Watervliet, 60-51. Jordyn Bonnema had herself a game to lead the Comets with 27 points on the night. Aubrey Herder and sophomore Carien Ybema each add 10 points apiece. Kalamazoo Christian advances to play Buchanan (22-1) on Thursday inside Centreville High School.
- Kalamazoo Hackett held off Fruitport Calvary Christian, 43-34. The Irish are playing their best basketball of the season as they head into Thursday night with a regional title on the line. They will take on 21-4 Colon at New Buffalo High School. Tip is set for 6:00.