**ARTICLE BY JOSH LONGSTRETH**
DOUBLE DRIBBLE: GIRLS BASKETBALL REGIONAL FINALS RECAP AND QUARTERFINALS PREVIEW
Regional 3 hosted by Mona Shores
- Rockford rolls into the state quarterfinals as they knocked off a very good Byron Center. This one was tight throughout, but the Rams would control most of the game. Rockfords offense, respectively, has cruised through the state playoffs as no team has been able to limit them.
Quarterfinal 2 @ Robert Quiring Gymnasium
Tuesday 7:00 – Rockford (25-1) VS Holt (22-4)
The Rams have been tested all year and tested in the state playoffs. They’ll look to see if they can keep that going as they take on a Holt team that has run through opponents through each round in March. This group has proven all year that they’re one of the best in the state. Coming down the home stretch of the season, they have a chance to make their dreams a reality this week.
Holt’s offense might be one of the best in the state in girls basketball. Outside of just one team this season, the brown and gold Rams have given opposing defenses fits. They’re coming in off their first regional title since 1975. It’s a team that has a solid mix of upperclassmen and younger players and it’s a group that will give Rockford a test as they are riding on some big momentum right now.
Regional 10 hosted by Frankenmuth
Quarterfinal 5 @ Gaylord High School
Tuesday 5:00 – Houghton (21-5) VS Frankenmuth (23-2)
For much of the season, the Eagles have been getting it done on both ends of the floor. Now they seem to be just getting better each game and cruised most of the way in the playoffs. They’ll look to see if they can get it done just one more time and book a trip to Breslin.
Houghton’s offense can score on you in a hurry. Only making it tough on opponents more is their defense. The Gremlins are coming off limited a very good Big Rapids team. They’ll face another tough one, but they aren’t lacking in confidence as they have limited teams most of the season.
Regional 11 hosted by Comstock Park
- Grand Rapids West Catholic survived a nail-biter over Grand Rapids Christian in OT, defeating the Eagles 53-45. The Falcons were in a fight all game as they held a slim 25-24 lead at the half.
Regional 12 hosted by Three Rivers
- Holland Christian put together a monumental effort against Plainwell to book a trip to the quarterfinals. The Maroons dictated the pace all night and would cruise to a 50-37 win. It was a game where they came out and set the tone by holding a 31-17 halftime lead.
Quarterfinal 6 @ Hopkins High School
Tuesday 7:00 – Grand Rapids West Catholic (25-0) VS Holland Christian (19-7)
The Falcons have had their way for much of the season. But boy were they in for a battle in the regional final as a very talented team took them to the wire. It’s that time of year and you’re going to be tested nearly every game. West Catholic continues to prove themselves and they have now felt what it’s like to be in a tight battle. That could very well be a blessing in disguise for the undefeated Falcons as they look to top off a tremendous season by making a trip to Breslin this week.
Holland Christian knows all too well what happens when West Catholic is playing their best basketball. The Maroons fell at the hands of the Falcons twice this season in games that West Catholic dominated throughout. But this Holland Christian team has made up for that with another opportunity. They’re playing some of their best basketball of the season on both ends of the floor. They’ll be up to task with a trip to Breslin on the line.
Regional 18 hosted by Houghton Lake
- Lake City had their season come to an end at the hands of Hemlock, falling to the Huskies in OT 56-60. Kenzie Bisballe did everything she could to lead the Trojan charge by finishing with 30 points and 8 rebounds. Alie Bisballe helped with 12 points and 11 rebounds. Emma Nickerson pitched in 8 points and 8 rebounds.
Regional 19 hosted by Shelby
- Hart came up in a big way by knocking off Kent City, 37-34. Knocking down big shots when it mattered most and a big effort on the defensive side helped the Pirates hold on in this one. Once again, the trio of Aspen Boutell (14 points), Abby Hicks (10 points, 6 rebounds, 5 steals) and Addi Hovey (9 points, 11 rebounds) came up big again.The high school career of senior Lexie Bowers comes to an end as she led the Eagles with 22 points, 12 rebounds and 2 blocks. Madelyn Geers added 10 points.
Quarterfinal 10 @ Bangor High School
Tuesday 7:00 – Hart (23-3) VS Buchanan (23-1)
Hart comes in having one of their best seasons as a program. Led by Addi Hovey, Aspen Boutell and Abby Hicks, this is a dangerous team. They showed that against a Kent City team that many may have expected to be playing still. Now, the Pirates have a chance to keep proving that they’re one of the best in the state.
What a year it has been for the Bucks. Buchanan has torched opposing defenses and they have continued that throughout the state playoffs. Now they’re looking to book a trip to Breslin to put their high-scoring attack on display.
Regional 20 hosted by Centreville
- Kalamazoo Christian had their season come to an end against Buchanan, falling to the Bucks 47-70.
Regional 29 hosted by New Buffalo
- Kalamazoo Hackett Catholic Prep came away with their first ever Regional Championship by knocking off Colon, 35-29. Layne Ridderman (13 points, 6 rebounds) and Alyse Baughman (9 points, 12 rebounds) led the way for the Irish.
Quarterfinal 15 @ Bellevue High School Gymnasium
Tuesday 7:00 – Kalamazoo Hackett Catholic Prep (18-8) VS Adrian Lenawee Christian (17-10)
The Irish have done much of their work on the defensive side to get here. But they’re also a team that can knock down big shots when it matters most. If they can continue to make teams uncomfortable offensively, they might just be playing at Breslin in a few short days.
Lenawee Christian comes in being tested in every game in the season. They’ve done nothing but show their grit for winning close games. Tested and true, they know they’ll be right there late in this one with a trip to Breslin in their sights.