The Grand Haven Buccaneers hit the road and took on East Kentwood in an OK Red game. They entered this contest with 19 straight conference losses, and six straight defeats against East Kentwood. With a hot start and a successful kick in overtime, both of these streaks were ended by a score of 31-28.

Halfway through the first quarter, Grand Haven was able to score first. Owen Krizan was able to step in front of a pass and he returned his 83 yards to the end zone for a touchdown. Kentwood would respond with a three minute drive that was capped off by a one yard touchdown plunge from Joshua Ledesma. Before the quarter was over, Grand Haven retook the lead on a 26 yard touchdown run by Krizan. His second score gave the Bucs a 14-7 advantage.

Wyatt Tucker made a key play for the Bucs early in the second quarter when he made an interception to set Grand Haven up with good field position. They would capitalize on this turnover when Alex Kapala found Braydon Franz for a 46 yard touchdown pass. A seven yard touchdown run by Connor Worthington later in the quarter would give Grand Haven a 28-7 lead as the teams entered the locker room.

After a scoreless third quarter, East Kentwood mounted an improbable comeback in the fourth quarter. They scored three touchdowns to rally and tie this game. Kamau Lake started the scoring when he caught Christian Tanner’s pass and ran it to the end zone from ten yards out. William Berris then hauled in a pair of touchdowns from Tanner in the game’s final five minutes from 31 and 49 yards. The skinny post touchdown of 31 yards brought the two teams to an even 28-28 score and forced this game into overtime.

In the extra frame, the Bucs were able to stop the Falcons from scoring on their possession. When Grand Haven had the football in the extra frame, they got a 25 yard field goal from Jewell Bronsen that served as the winner.

With the victory, Grand Haven improves to 2-4 on the year. Next week, the Bucs will take on Caledonia. For Kentwood, they slide to 3-3 with the defeat and they are now 2-2 in league play. Next week, they will step out of league play and they will face the Holland Dutch.