After Mother Nature sidelined most of the games this week, a few teams braved the elements to square off on Friday night. The MSR team was live across the area with a handful of live games, and the recaps and the scores of the area’s games can be found below.
Coopersville 61 West Catholic 58
The Broncos got their revenge on the Falcons in Friday night’s OK Blue battle. It was a heavily whistled affair, as the officials called 43 fouls in 32 minutes of play. Connor Helsen, who scored 16 for Coopersville, had some clutch free throws late that helped seal the deal for the Broncos. Leading the way however was senior Chase Reckucki with 18 points on the night. This game was out of hand early as Coopersville led by 20 points, but behind Josh Tuttle’s 20 point effort, the Falcons clawed back. They cut the game as close as two points, but they were never able to overtake the Broncos, missing a three-point heave at the buzzer.
Unity Christian 72 Byron Center 50
The Crusaders racked up their seventh conference win of the year, remaining unbeaten in the OK Green. Byron Center was led by Matt Richards (16 points), but they now sit at 2-11 on the year.
East Grand Rapids 53 Middleville 45
East Kentwood 56 Caledonia 40
After a wild three overtime game in the first meeting, the Falcons were able to complete the season sweep by taking care of business in regulation on Friday. Kentwood led by just four points after the first, but their play in the middle two quarters extended their lead much further. They were led by Jamoni Jones, who scored 25 points to pace all scorers. For the defeated Scots, Luke Thelen led the way with 15 points. He was joined by Aaron Henry (10 points) and Zach Tuori (6 points) to lead the way offensively.
Zeeland West 51 Grand Haven 48
South Christian 56 Grand Rapids Christian 50
One of the hottest teams in West Michigan, the Sailors were able to knock off Grand Rapids Christian on Friday night in enemy territory. The seventh straight win for the Sailors improves their league record to 6-1, good enough for sole possession of first place in the OK Gold. Grand Rapids Christian and Wayland remain one game behind in the loss column.
Holland Christian 70 Hamilton 50
Muskegon 72 Kenowa Hills 50
Hudsonville 76 Grandville 31
The Eagles dominated Grandville in an OK Red conference matchup. Tonight’s result leaves many fans scratching their heads when they look back at the January 4 matchup between these two schools. Back on that Friday night, Grandville went into Hudsonville and came out with a five-point victory. Since that point, the Eagles have reeled off six straight league wins by an average of 19 points per contest. They find themselves alone atop the OK Red at 6-1, with Rockford and Kentwood one loss behind them at 4-2.
Mona Shores 49 Fruitport 32
Zeeland East 69 Holland 54
West Ottawa 45 Rockford 42
The Panthers scored a key conference win in a slow defensive grind of a game against Rockford. This game was very low scoring through the first 24 minutes, as West Ottawa held a 28-22 lead. The fourth quarter saw a combined 37 points, nearly doubling the total offensive output. Senior Jason Fairfield led the Panthers offensively, as he finished this game with 15 points. Blake Pedersen joined him in double figures for West Ottawa chipping in ten. For Rockford, Nate Bareno led the way with ten points. Brendon Schueller (nine points) and Ashton Pokorzynski (eight points) also were key contributors on the offensive end.
WHAT’S ON TAP?
- Allendale (8-4) vs Hudsonville Unity Christian (11-2), 5:30 PM
- East Kentwood (8-5) vs Detroit Country Day (5-7), 3:00 PM
- Grand Blanc (10-5) vs Muskegon (10-3), 4:30 PM
- Grand Rapids Christian (10-3) vs Kalamazoo Central (9-1), 1:30 PM
- Grand Rapids Forest Hills Central (8-4) vs Grand Rapids Northview (9-3), 5:30 PM
- Grand Rapids Kenowa Hills (7-4) vs Kent City (7-6), 3:00 PM
- Grand Rapids South Christian (10-3) vs Grandville Calvin Christian (5-6), 7:00 PM
- Grand Rapids Union (7-4) vs New Haven (13-1), 7:30 PM
- Wayland Union (9-4) vs Byron Center (2-11), 6:00 PM
- Coopersville (6-6) vs Grand Rapids Catholic Central (11-2), 7:00 PM
- Williamston (14-1) vs Grand Rapids Ottawa Hills (1-10), 6:00 PM
- Ada Forest Hills Eastern (6-7) vs East Grand Rapids (7-7), 7:00 PM
- Allendale (8-4) vs Spring Lake (4-10), 7:00 PM
- Byron Center (2-11) vs Parchment (7-5), 7:00 PM
- Comstock Park (4-7) vs Sparta (6-6), 7:00 PM
- Flint Hamady (4-8) vs Grand Rapids Ottawa Hills (1-10), 6:30 PM
- Grand Haven (8-5) vs Holland West Ottawa (4-7), 7:00 PM
- Grand Rapids Catholic Central (11-2) vs Grand Rapids West Catholic (7-5), 7:00 PM
- Grand Rapids Forest Hills Northern (14-0) vs Cedar Springs (4-9), 7:00 PM
- Grand Rapids Kenowa Hills (7-4) vs Fruitport (2-10), 7:00 PM
- Grand Rapids South Christian (10-3) vs Wyoming (4-8), 7:00 PM
- Grandville (5-7) vs Rockford (9-3), 7:00 PM
- Grandville Calvin Christian (5-6) vs Grand Rapids NorthPointe Christian (5-5), 7:15 PM
- Greenville (4-9) vs Grand Rapids Forest Hills Central (8-4), 7:00 PM
- Hamilton (6-8) vs Holland (6-7), 7:00 PM
- Holland Christian (11-2) vs Hudsonville Unity Christian (11-2), 7:00 PM
- Hopkins (8-3) vs Wyoming Godwin Heights (9-5), 7:15 PM
- Hudsonville (12-2) vs Caledonia (4-9), 7:00 PM
- Jenison (4-8) vs Muskegon Reeths-Puffer (12-1), 7:00 PM
- Lowell (4-7) vs Grand Rapids Northview (9-3), 7:00 PM
- Muskegon (10-3) vs Grand Rapids Union (7-4), 7:00 PM
- Wayland Union (9-4) vs Middleville Thornapple Kellogg (1-12), 7:00 PM
- Wyoming Lee (2-9) vs Wyoming Kelloggsville (3-9), 7:00 PM
- Zeeland West (10-3) vs Zeeland East (1-11), 5:30 PM