The Freeland Falcons, champions of the Tri-Valley Central each of the last two seasons, began their quest for a three-peat on Thursday at home. Their first opponent was the Indians of Chesaning High School, a team they had beaten in eleven consecutive seasons. For just the fourth time in their twelve all-time meetings, the Indians were within single digits of the Falcons, but they fell just short 34-25.

Star tailback Garret Mehtiva started the scoring in this one as he punched it in from a yard out to give Freeland a 6-0 lead. The Indians’ passing attack led by quarterback Cole Higley would keep Chesaning in this one all night, including giving them a 7-6 lead in the first quarter on a 55-yard pass.

Freeland would respond early in the second quarter when Tyler Shea scored from six yards out to take back the lead at 12-7. Tanner Hare would score on another drive of seven-five plus yards, as his forty-four yard run gave the Falcons a 20-7 advantage.

With just thirty seconds left before the half, Sam Forsyth scored his first touchdown of the night for Chesaning to cut the deficit to seven. A scoreless third quarter left the game within a touchdown before the Indians struck again. On the first play of the fourth quarter, Cole Higley found Forsyth for a sixteen-yard touchdown to pull the Indians within a point. Their extra-point would be missed however, so the score remained 20-19 with Freeland in front.

After Tyler Shea scored a touchdown, his second of the night, the two-point conversion attempt was ruled incomplete, and Freeland lead 26-19 with 8:00 to play. On the next drive, Chesaning had made it to the Freeland 34-yard line before they faced a 4th and 18. The pass attempt by Higley was incomplete, but the officials threw a flag for defensive holding, giving the Indians new life.

Two plays later, Sam Forsyth scored from two-yards out, and Chesaning had once again cut the lead to a single point with 3:27 to play. They opted to go for the two-point conversion rather than playing for the tie, and Sam Forsyth appeared to score to the go-ahead point. Once again, the officials threw their flags, and a holding call took the points off the board. The two-point try from the 13-yard line was unsuccessful, and the Indians would be behind 26-25.

Freeland scored one final touchdown, and a two point conversion, to expand their lead to 34-25 which would be the final score in this contest. With the win, the Falcons improve to 2-0 on the season, and 1-0 in the Tri-Valley Central, their seventeenth straight league win. Next week, they will attempt to win yet another league game as they host Shepherd.


1Q 6:24FREE 6-0G.Mehtiva 1yd run
1Q 5:42CHES 7-6C.Higley 55yd pass to C.Devota
2Q 11:12FREE 12-7T.Shea 6yd run
2Q 3:49FREE 20-7T.Hare 44yd run
2Q 0:32FREE 20-13S.Forsyth 3yd run
4Q 11:56FREE 20-19C.Higley 16yd pass to S.Forsyth.
4Q 8:00FREE 26-19T.Shea 2yd run
4Q 3:27FREE 26-25S.Forsyth 2yd run
4Q 1:06FREE 34-25G.Mehtiva 3yd run.